The Paro valley is home to the only international airport of Bhutan. Once on the Ground, the international flight crew of Druk Air can fully appreciate the glance in any direction that provides an awe-inspiring view at very close range of the Himalayan Mountains. Moreover, the lush green paddy fields along one side of the airstrip and fresh water river flowing on the other side add to the scenic beauty.
The town of Paro lies in the center of the valley on the banks of the Paro Chhu and contains a wealth of attractions and requires a few days to be properly explored. This town is one of the most populated areas of the whole country. It is sprinkled with shops and video stalls as well as eating and drinking places of varying standards.
Places of interest
Paro Dzong: Paro The Correct name of Paro Dzong is Rinpung Dzong, means, "fortress of a heap of jewels" was also built by Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal in 1646. It presently serves as the home for the Paro Monastic Body and as the offices for the civil administration of Paro. The Paro Tsechu is held here in Spring.
National Museum: Just behind the Rinpung Dzong on a hillside stands the castle-like Ta Dzong which once served as a watch tower of the Dzong. Built in 1657 it now houses the National Museum with an amazing collection of art, antiques and religious thangkas (paintings).
And Paro has other palaces like Ugyen Pelri Palace, Chhoeten Lhakhang, Druk Choeding, Dumtse Lhakhang etc. which are worth for a visit.